St. Andrew’s Church, located at 138 Nathan Road, Kowloon, was built in 1906. The church compound is sited prominently on an upper level reached by a steep, curving access road and steps from Nathan Road. The church is located in the middle of the site, with the children’s playground and Old Vicarage to the north; a new car park area on a higher level to the east; the Christian Centre to the south and the recent Life Centre to the west, fronting Nathan Road. The church was designed by Leigh & Orange in the Gothic Revival style. The spatial layout of the church is quite standard, comprising a nave and chancel, baptistry and the tower is sited at the south west corner
Purcell was appointed by St. Andrew’s Church, to apply for funding approval under the “Financial Assistance for Maintenance Scheme” provided by Commissioner for Heritage’s Office (CHO). Purcell’s role is to assist client liaison with Antiquities and Monuments Office (AMO), to carry out a condition survey assessing the current state of the Bell Tower and building envelope, to formulate a conservation proposal which includes a list of proposed works with analysis of possible causes and recommendations, and to inspect the work in progress.