Purcell was appointed as architect by the University of Essex to redesign and refurbish various buildings and spaces, including the boiler house, micro-biology laboratory and Albert Sloman Library.
Designated part of the Waterside Enterprise Zone by Northampton Borough Council, the Victorian Grade II-listed engine shed was destroyed in a fire in 2000. Purcell carried out a condition survey on the building and was subsequently appointed by the client to introduce design solutions to upgrade the external envelope of the fire-damaged building to meet BREEAM excellent and accessibility standards.
The University of Hong Kong's main building was severely damaged during WW2. Purcell was appointed as the heritage architect for the rejuvenation of the main building working alongside AD+RG and Wilkinson Eyre. The intended function is to create support space to meet curriculum requirements, which includes providing lecture halls, seminar rooms, classrooms, meeting venues, archives and student and staff amenities.
Purcell was appointed to transform the university's existing academic concourse so it became the heart of the university. The space was ‘hard’, unwelcoming and underused. Our brief was to create an environment where people congregated, close to their lecture halls, bringing life to the concourse.
Christ Church, Oxford appointed Purcell to transform a sensitive green belt site and a redundant thatched barn into a new visitor centre with an interpretation area, shop and a cafe.
A seminal Modernist building, Blue Boar is a residential quad designed for Christ Church in 1968 by acclaimed British architects Powell & Moya. It is now listed Grade II*. We were appointed as architects and lead consultants to repair, refurbish and extend the Quad to provide a new lecture theatre, extra student accommodation, en suite bathrooms, new archive facilities and disabled access.
St Catherine’s College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford. Within the setting of Arne Jacobsen’s original College buildings, Purcell was appointed to extend upon Stephen Hodder’s previous accommodation pavilions.
Worcester College has been on site in Oxford since the late thirteenth century, though in its current form it was founded in 1714. Architects were invited to design of a new 150-seat lecture theatre expected to accommodate a range of uses including conferences, lectures and student performances. Purcell’s team was one of six that were invited to the second stage of the competition.
The Master and Fellows of St. John’s commissioned Purcell to prepare a feasibility study costing options for refurbishment of the student accommodation as well as the Porter’s Lodge, garages, the Song School, the IT Department and the Lady Superintendent’s department. We made recommendations on upgrading, reordering and extending the internal spaces and updating the building services.
St John’s was founded in 1511 and is one of the largest Colleges in Cambridge. Purcell was appointed to carry out a feasibility study and subsequently develop detailed proposals to carry out a variety of works to the E Stair, New Court building. Works included the sensitive insertion of a lift, renewal of all services, external conservation repairs and internal reordering to adapt the staircase to suit modern requirements, whilst retaining and restoring the original quality of the building for exclusive Fellows’ use.
St Anthony' College Hilda Besse Building contains all of the core college social spaces, including the dining hall, bar and common rooms. It also contains the college kitchens and maintenance stores. Purcell was appointed to completely refurbish the building and to ensure the protection of the building going forward. Sensitive new elements will be incorporated where appropriate so that this wonderful structure continues to sit at the heart of St Antony’s for many years to come.
The Grade I-listed Bodleian Library Underground Bookstore was built between 1909-1912 as a two-floor overflow book storage facility for the Bodleian’s collections. Our Oxford studio devised a scheme to convert the Bookstore into an open access library, creating improved access from Radcliffe Camera and the Old Bodleian Library and retaining some of the technologically-interesting Gladstone shelving.
Purcell converted five principal buildings, The Smithery, The Central Boiler House, The Firestation, The Foundry and The Engineers Workshop to provide a fine arts centre with large studios, a student workshop, music studios and a dance studio after the University of Kent's School of Music and Fine Art requested five new lettable arts spaces within the existing dockyard buildings.
The Creative Arts Building was a new building designed to house a whole faculty. There was a significance time constraint on the project as it needed to be delivered for a forthcoming academic year. The construction works took place, without incident, on an operational education campus. Purcell led the Graham Group ‘one team approach’, working collaboratively with the client, principal contractor’ own construction team and specialist sub -contractors to deliver a project that achieved a high-quality build, to time and on budget.
Purcell was commissioned to develop feasibility study options for the extensive repair and conversion of a Grade II-listed outbuilding and adjoining single-storey structure at the heart of the Bedford College Campus to prevent their collapse. Following the study, we were appointed to progress the brief for planning and Listed Building consent applications to convert the barn and south range into open plan office and teaching accommodation.
The Victoria Centre is a Grade II* listed building on Vincent Square. Purcell were initially appointed by the College in 2006 to produce a Feasibility Study for the Victoria Centre. This Conservation Statement was the basis for the Heritage Impact Assessment produced to justify the alterations to the listed building undertaken in the 2012 Reception works. We were commissioned by the College to design and undertake the remodelling of the reception space and more light touch refurbishment to the CET suite.
Purcell was commissioned to undertake the Phase IV rejuvenation of Hills Road Sixth Form College to establish a better working environment for both students and staff. This involved the re-ordering and re-presentation of 15 separate academic and administrative areas to provide a new multi-purpose atrium, refurbished library, improved student social area, expanded history of art and textiles space and improved laboratories.