Purcell was appointed to obtain planning and listed building consent for the alteration and extension of a vacant B-listed former print works to 104 bedroom hotel.
It was originally built in 1882 for Guthrie Wilson & Co Stationers, who owned a number of factories in Glasgow at the time. The building has been altered over time and was last used as a public house. Part of the roof had been damaged by fire leading to water ingress and an advanced state of rot throughout the building.
The existing building had a deep plan with few windows. New openings were created to the north and south and rooms were arranged around a central atrium. To provide the necessary accommodation a new zinc-clad rooftop extension was added to the rear of the front pitch so as not to alter the street elevation.
Existing brick walls with Glasgow-made bricks were exposed at ground floor within the coffee shop and within some bedrooms.