Commissioned by Lady Helena May, wife of Governor Sir Henry May, The Helena May Ladies' Club was built in 1916. After the windows were replaced in the 1950s, the building was progressively upgraded. In 1993 it was acknowledged as a Declared Monument. As part of re-presenting the Blue Room interior, Purcell resolved rising damp issues and improved services’ integration by removing the suspended ceiling and introducing timber panelling at the lower part of the wall to restore the room’s original proportions.
Purcell’s work to date includes a masterplan for general building upgrades and design schemes for all the major reception rooms and kitchen.