Purcell completed a Conservation Plan for the full 14.1 acre site, called the Radcliffe Observatory Quarter (ROQ), which informed a masterplan. Various architects were consulted to design the different buildings which are to be constructed on the site and Purcell was appointed to restore, renovate and refurbish the 1770 Radcliffe Infirmary and transform it from Oxford’s first hospital into the representative building of the new expansion space for the collegiate University.
The design kept the fit-out of a rather rigid plan as flexible and reversible as possible to accept further changes of use and to introduce modern services. The original floor structure was reinforced and most of the roof structure was inspected, treated and maintained. The original internal plasterwork was consolidated and retained behind modern accessible ceilings and many of the original sash windows were retained and refurbished.
We are grateful to the team from Purcell for their brilliant designs and specifications of fittings, and standards of finish.
The finest decorations, including plaster cornices and timber panelling, which characterised a few of the principal rooms, were left exposed
The restoration of the Radcliffe Infirmary has got a high community value and it is the icon of the new expansion area of the University of Oxford.