Leighton House Museum, located on the edge of Holland Park, was the studio home of well-known Victorian painter Frederic, Lord Leighton, designed by George Aitchison and constructed between 1865 and 1896.
Our Conservation Management Plan helped the client to understand the house in its context and tackled important issues for the future of the building. We then led a £1.2m conservation, refurbishment and restoration programme to return the house to the full glory of Leighton’s and Aitchison’s original architectural vision.
Historic paint, wallcoverings and detail samples from original materials were researched, sourced and reproduced. The historic decorative scheme was reconstructed for the interiors and magnificent Arab Hall gilded ceiling dome, newly illuminated by the refurbished gasolier. The ambitious scheme also included the meticulous restoration of the building’s original ziggurat parapets, distinctive architectural features that were removed in 1959.
- Europa Nostra Conservation Award
- Lighting Design Heritage Award
- RIBA London Arts & Leisure Award
- Museums & Heritage Award for Restoration or Conservation (Shortlisted)
- RICS London Award for Conservation (Shortlisted)
- RICS London Award for Community Benefit (Shortlisted)