Purcell is looking for an exceptionally talented Technician / Technologist ideally with experience in working with historic buildings to join our Norwich studio. This role will be to aid the Studio and established team to fulfil a lead role in a number of projects and develop their skillset and knowledge within the construction industry. Experience in the design and specification of repairs and alterations to historic buildings is required (though conservation accreditation is not an imperative requirement it will be a short-term goal). Conventional contemporary construction and materials experience is also relevant.
Purcell is an award-winning employee-owned architectural and heritage consultancy practice with a commitment to quality, innovation, and diversity. We have staff of approximately 280 talented architects, designers, heritage consultants and surveyors across 14 offices, in the UK, Hong Kong and Australia. Winners of Architect Employer of the Year 2022.
Collaboration is central to our employee-ownership culture, providing opportunities to work on some of the finest buildings; from meticulous heritage and conservation schemes to bold contemporary design. We offer a rewarding and supportive environment for personal and professional development and our employee-owned ethos empowers everyone to use their voice. We believe in creating an equitable and inclusive culture, founded on our values, which celebrates knowledge sharing and our successes, to build an inspiring work environment.
It is our distinctive employee-owned working culture that has contributed to our status as a World Architecture Top 100 Practice, renowned for our excellence in architecture and heritage consultancy.
Our benefits package includes agile, flexible and hybrid working, (a minimum of 3 days in office, up to 2 days WFH) annual leave increasing with long service, life assurance, study sponsorship with paid study leave, sabbaticals, employee assistance programme, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, virtual GP service, subscription fees, company day out, a volunteering scheme and enhanced learning & development opportunities.
The successful candidate will be able to communicate well, demonstrate attention to detail and be knowledgeable about traditional building construction. We wish to see evidence of detailing and procurement of work in both preserving historic buildings and new build scenarios.
Duties will include:
- Learning, applying and sharing the core expertise and specialisms of Purcell.
- Working closely with our existing team for ongoing projects.
- Directing internal and external consultant teams and clients, alongside project managers.
- Assisting in 2D and 3D drawing and modelling production using AutoCAD and BIM through Revit
- Investigating and offering technical advice on factors that affect building development, including user needs, site and building surveys, and regulatory requirements
- Monitoring designs for health and safety and contributing to risk assessments
- Coordinating detailed technical information from RIBA Stage 3 onwards
- Contributing to technical reviews of proposals from RIBA Stage 2 onwards
- Preparing specifications for construction work
- Preparing drawings, plans, and documents for statutory approvals
- Obtaining tenders for construction work
- Preparing repair-focused applications for approval by regulatory bodies
- Attending and sometimes leading site surveys and visits
- Undertaking Contract Administrator responsibilities in conjunction with a senior team member
- Contributing to and sometimes leading meetings and document preparation
- Researching new repair and construction processes, building legislation and technology.
- Contributing to the development of a competent project team.
- Learning, applying, sharing the core expertise and specialisms of BIM Modelling.
- Developing and enhancing our conservation and repairs reputation.
- Adhering to current technical standards - Purcell and the wider industry.
- Focusing on Client satisfaction.
- Contributing to work winning, project delivery and project profitability.
Expected skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Higher National Diploma (HND) in a relevant subjects such as architecture, construction, or architectural technology.
- Excellent or good proficiency in using BIM software (REVIT).
- Excellent proficiency in 2D drafting using AutoCAD and 3D modelling in Revit, FormIt or SketchUp
- Knowledge of Photoshop and/or other graphic presentation software.
- Working alongside Architects and senior staff producing all documents associated with construction projects.
- Self-checking capability to ensure all outputs are accurate and easy to interpret
- Persistence and determination
- Problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexibility and openness to change.
- Thorough understanding of computer systems and applications and desire to develop further.
- Good presentation skills (Visual, written & spoken) and contribution to high quality documentation
- Understanding of industry technical standards and statutory requirements
- Proactive ‘can do’ attitude
- Conceptual design thinker in the technical realm, with ability to graphically represent conceptual thinking
- Ability to manage self, prioritise, work under pressure, and to meet deadlines
- Personable, confident and with a strong sense of team spirit.
This job description is a guide to the duties the post holder will be expected to undertake. It is not intended to be exhaustive or exclusive and will be subject to change as working requirements dictate and to meet the organisational requirements of Purcell.
As world leaders of Heritage and Conservation, Purcell is committed to embracing diversity and equal opportunity within our international teams, reflective of the society in which we work and live.
We welcome people from all backgrounds and celebrate differences through our culture of employee ownership.