We are seeking a talented, experienced Building Surveyor to join our team in the West Region (Bristol or Oxford Studio).We’re looking for someone with a passion for historic buildings who enjoys working as part of a multi-disciplinary team and who is capable of delivering building surveying services to a high standard and to deadlines.
Purcell is an award-winning employee-owned architectural and heritage consultancy practice with a commitment to quality, innovation, and diversity. We have staff of approximately 280 talented architects, designers, heritage consultants and surveyors across 14 offices, in the UK, Hong Kong and Australia. Winners of Architect Employer of the Year 2022.
Collaboration is central to our employee-ownership culture, providing opportunities to work on some of the finest buildings; from meticulous heritage and conservation schemes to bold contemporary design. We offer a rewarding and supportive environment for personal and professional development and our employee-owned ethos empowers everyone to use their voice. We believe in creating an equitable and inclusive culture, founded on our values, which celebrates knowledge sharing and our successes, to build an inspiring work environment.
It is our distinctive employee-owned working culture that has contributed to our status as a World Architecture Top 100 Practice, renowned for our excellence in architecture and heritage consultancy.
Our benefits package includes agile, flexible and hybrid working, (a minimum of 3 days in office, up to 2 days working from home) annual leave increasing with long service, life assurance, study sponsorship with paid study leave, sabbaticals, employee assistance programme, season ticket loans, cycle to work scheme, virtual GP service, subscription fees, company day out, a volunteering scheme and enhanced learning & development opportunities.
Your key responsibilities will be as below, but not limited to:
- Site surveys to assess building defects and assess remedial works
- Preparing illustrated reports with the necessary background research
- Preparing specifications for repairs
- Providing high quality and timely advice to clients relating to building material condition and performance
- Attending meetings with clients and their consultants and assisting in giving appraisals of building material condition and building material performance
- Undertaking personal training and development, as agreed with your Line Manager
- Financial accountability through effective management of time and resources.
- Preparing fee proposals and contributing to bids.
In-house training will be provided with the purpose of you swiftly becoming an asset to the company and to support you through the probation period.
- Promoting the company through writing articles for journals, newspapers, the Purcell website and appropriate social media
- Developing an individual specialism in relation to historic buildings or building surveying in discussion with your Line Manager/Regional Partner.
- Attending external training courses to expand your own knowledge base and to develop your individual skill set
- Developing and using new technologies to aid in surveys.
You would be helping to expand our existing surveying offer, both regionally and nationally. It is likely to involve working on projects across the south of England and Wales.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Membership of the RICS
- Previous experience of complex repair and refurbishment projects
- Up-to-date knowledge of relevant technical standards and statutory requirements
- In depth knowledge of building decay processes and repair techniques
- Good time management skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail to ensure that recommendations are consistent and authoritative
- Ability to interpret briefs and match resources to client needs
- Good communication skills at all levels (internal & external)
- Confidence in working at height from scaffolding, ladders and platforms
- A full driving licence will be required and willingness to stay away overnight occasionally for remote site visits.
- RICS Accredited in Building Conservation or full member of IHBC
- Experience of delivering surveys for public bodies and national organisations
- Experience of using specialist surveying software such as GoReport.
- Experience of environmental monitoring and non-destructive investigation techniques
- Commercial awareness and aptitude for business development
- Experience of cost estimating for repair projects
This job description is a guide to the duties the post holder will be expected to undertake. It is not intended to be exhaustive or exclusive and will be subject to change as working requirements dictate and to meet the organisational requirements of Purcell.
As world leaders of Heritage and Conservation, Purcell is committed to embracing diversity and equal opportunity within our international teams, reflective of the society in which we work and live.
We welcome people from all backgrounds and celebrate differences through our culture of employee ownership.