Our practice was formed in 1947 by Donovan Purcell, a fellow of Corpus Christi College Cambridge where he taught at the School of Architecture.
Observing the construction skills of local craftsmen, Purcell was absorbed by the materials used in construction, particularly stone, brick and terracotta. His book ‘Cambridge Stone’ illustrates the care and commitment he gave to a subject about which he felt passionately.
On his appointment to Ely Cathedral he launched a restoration campaign and worked to stabilise the west tower. This paved the way for more than two decades of careful and considered repair.
Purcell was committed to the highest standards of architecture; his enthusiasm and distinctive character continue to influence the practice to this day.